Current reads

Thursday, November 1, 2007

October Reads

Blaze by Stephen King (audio) 3* the story of a not-too-smart crook kidnapping a baby, I think I liked the story more because the reader did an excellent job with all the voices. I don't think I would have been as thrilled reading the actual story myself. It's definitely not King's best.

Songs in Ordinary Time by Mary McGarry Morris 2.5* small town life in the 60's revolves around a family whose mother is taken in by a con man. This is an Oprah's book club book, but this is one time she and I do not agree. i found the story boring and it dragged on entirely too long (I think 300 pages could have been cut!). I only finished it in the hopes that it would get better....it never did!

A Piece of Normal by Sandi Kahn Shelton 3* a woman's sister who has been missing for over 10 years returns home and disrupts her structured life.

Lottery by Patricia Wood (audio) 5* LOVED LOVED LOVED this book! About a simple man (he is NOT retarded as he will keep telling you) that wins the lottery and learns a lot about people.

My Mother the Cheerleader by Robert Sharenow (YA) 4* great YA book about segregation in the 60's told from a child's viewpoint

Still Summer by Jacquelyn Mitchard 4* a group of friends go on a sailing vacation and tragedy ensues

Outside Valentine by Liza Ward 3* a fictional account of the Starkweather killings in NE. I found it too "deep", just came across depressing to me.

Promise Not To Tell by Jennifer McMahon 4* on the night a woman returns to her hometown a murder occurs that eerily mirrors the one of her childhood friend

The Bad Boy's Wife by Karen Shepard 3* the story of a woman who marries the bad boy and what happens to both of them and their child

The Other Side of the Bridge by Mary Lawson 3.5* small town life in a northern Canadian town. Rivalry between 2 brothers.

The Star Garden by Nancy E. Turner 3.5* 3rd in the series, not as good as the others....

After This by Alice McDermott (audio) DNF, not sure if I will, pretty boring!

On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan 3* reads like poetry but I found the story itself lacking. It just seemed like a short story that ran too long. About a couple's romance and their wedding night.

Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee 4* the story of an 11 yr old girl who befriends an old immigrant man for a school assignment. quick read but very moving.

No comments: